Saturday, August 7, 2010

Paradise Bakery & Cafe, Salt Lake City, UT

So I've actually been to Paradise Bakery & Cafe a handful of times, but knew it was definitely one to share. First thing to know if you are driving is there is a 2 hour parking limit per Salt Lake City, which Paradise Bakery has no control of. So I love this place because it has the feel and decor of your typical coffee shop, but it is HUGE! If I had to guess, I'd say there are about 30 tables and booths. In the back of the Cafe along the wall are two long open booths (one side is a booth with many small tables fitting one person on each side and a chair facing the booth) with places to plug in laptops if that is your sort of thing.

So the staff was very friendly and helpful. The woman taking my order asked if I wanted whipped cream I said "might as well" and she agreed- you can't really count calories when you get the Paradise Frappe [OK, so here is where I have to interject and let you know I dropped the ball on this one and forgot to write down the name of the drink I ordered- I know, horrible right?!] or whatever the drink is called- I'm sure I'm close, but they don't list their coffee drinks on their website.

So I wasn't really impressed with the book I brought with me. It's called A Delirious Summer by Ray Blackston. It's about this guy who teaches spanish in Quito, Ecuador to future missionaries (doesn't give a denomination but I would guess not LDS, just an FYI as I know that is my first thought when I hear the word missionary.) So this guy has 6 weeks vacation time until his next class and upon the advice and help of one of his students, decides to spend it trying to meet girls in Greenville, South Carolina. But I guess this is tougher than it sounds as all the girls "hop scotch" different churches (baptist, Episcopalian, etc.) trying to meet available men. I wont get into it much more than that. It's written by a guy, in a guy's perspective so to me the dialog is just really weird and the interaction he has as he comes in contact with different guys is foreign to me- like do guys really talk like this? I read to page 61 and just wasn't into it.

CAFE REVIEW:

Small Paradise Frappe: Good, but mild. After the first sip I really couldn't taste the chocolate flavor. Almost tasted watered down. I guess it could be because I asked for skim milk, but it really was just a light flavor. So the frappe has Godiva chocolate flavoring and half a chocolate chip cookie blended into it, with about a 1/4 size chocolate chip cookie added to the top for garnish.

Chocolate Chip Cookie: Regular cookie size, $1.37, awesome! I LOVE their chocolate chip cookies!!!! When you order a sandwich it comes with one of these as well. These cookies are reason enough to come to Paradise Cafe. I can't put my finger on what that special ingredient is (ginger maybe? or molasses?) but they are so many times better than your average store bought chocolate chip cookie. And bonus for me- the cashier gave me the other half of the cookie she used for my drink, in addition to the one I bought. Last time I had the Paradise Frappe I got the medium size and did not get part of a cookie back so not sure if she was being nice, or if that is normal. Either way- great for customer satisfaction!

Cleanliness: Ok, there were a couple of slightly dirty tables and mine did have some large crumbs of food underneath. But as far as the order area is concerned- clean.

Service: Good, as I mentioned above.

Atmosphere: not too loud, cafeteria style ordering and they do bring your food to you if you order a sandwich or salad. Comfy and welcoming. I felt no rush and even put my feet up in the booth.

Would I recommend: Yes, most definitely. My husband loves their caesar salad. I love their turkey cranberry sandwich and of course- don't leave without getting a chocolate chip cookie! Hours: Mon-Sat 6 am-9pm, closed sunday.

Paradise Bakery & Cafe
618 East 400 South
Salt Lake City, UT

Coffee. Soda. Cookies. Cake. Breakfast Croissants. Sandwiches. Soup. Salad. Pasta Salads.

Reference: www.paradisebakery.com

Thanks for reading! Let me know if you've been here before or have any suggestions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment