Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Diva's Cupcakes & Coffee, Salt Lake City, UT. 2nd Visit.

Overpriced coffee cake + lukewarm latte + slow service = Nicole will probably not be visiting again anytime soon.

I visited Diva's Cupcakes again yesterday, this time with a friend from my bible study. I got a 16 oz. decaf hazelnut latte and a piece of blueberry pecan coffee cake which totaled $7.49 (versus about $6.04 at Starbucks, btw). I was a little surprised at the price and maybe should have taken the coffee cake off, but it is what it is. Service was a little slow because the same person who takes the orders also prepares the drinks and gets your pastries plated for you.

The biggest disappointment however was that my latte was not nearly hot enough, I'd say it was warm. Which means after about 2 minutes in a ceramic mug it was lukewarm. It tasted good, I just wish it had been served hot. The coffee cake was OK, a little dry. I did appreciate that it had fresh blueberries on it.

I would say the best part of this visit was my company. We were able to sit on the back patio for about 45 minutes to chat, before it was off to bible study.

Overall, I am still amazed with the back patio and it's feeling as if you've been whisked out of salt lake city and into someone's suburban back yard. However, I am just not impressed at all with their bakery- which is a shame.

Book Review:

On a side note, I do want to mention a book I just finished reading for all of you who can stomach a little more vampire culture. Blood Oath, by Christopher Farnsworth does have two vampires in it, who do avoid the sunlight, but this is where the similarities with Twilight end. Blood Oath is about the president's vampire who has been around for about 140 years. Cade does not sparkle and could care less if he is wearing designer threads. Instead he lives in a secret underground compartment below the white house and helps out in keeping the United States President alive in only the most serious of threats- those started by other undead creatures. I liked it despite the fact that there was no romance and more war action than dialog. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys science fiction novels and/or vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment